Thanksgiving is one of the most important and popular holidays in the United States. More than just a time to reflect on American history, Thanksgiving is a beloved tradition for many families, uniting people from all walks of life in the spirit of gratitude.
A Thanksgiving party is an excellent way to take advantage of the festive spirit that this holiday brings. After all, what could be better than bringing all the people you love most together in a celebration that combines beautiful decorations and fun activities with mouth-watering food? So let’s take all your holiday party ideas and create the perfect plan.
Of course, planning and hosting the perfect party isn’t without its challenges. There’s a lot to think about, from your guest list to your menu and even your post-food playlist. It’s enough to leave you sweating even before you’ve got your turkey in the oven.
Fortunately, we’re here to help. Here are our top tips to help you host a Thanksgiving Day celebration everyone will be grateful for.
Thanksgiving Party Planning and Preparation
Planning is everything when you’re hosting an event. Whether you’re preparing a small family Turkey Day gathering or an extravagant Thanksgiving Day dinner, the right plan will help you side-step potential hurdles that could get in the way of a carefree celebration.
First, decide on the date, time, and venue for your Thanksgiving party. While Thanksgiving traditionally falls on the fourth Thursday of November, you don’t necessarily need to host your party then. If your loved ones are busy during the week, it might be worth choosing a weekend instead.
Consider whether you have enough room at home to get everyone seated around the table, or whether you might need to rent some extra space. If you’re bringing all of your distant relatives together for a feast, your dining room is likely to get cluttered pretty quickly.
Once you’ve chosen the date and venue:
- Craft your guest list: Who are you going to invite to your Thanksgiving bash? Do you want to keep things small and intimate, or are you hoping to get your whole tribe involved? If you’re going to be inviting people from out of town, it might be worth double-checking if they have somewhere to stay if you can’t host them overnight.
- Send your invitations: Send invitations as early as possible! This way, you’re more likely to have a clear view of exactly how many people are going to be coming to your event. This makes it much easier to figure out how much food you need, and how many seats you’re going to have to find. It’s worth asking your dinner guests to share any dietary restrictions they might have when they RSVP, just in case.
- Decide on the theme and decor: You can always go with a classic autumnal theme for your Thanksgiving party, but you might decide to do something a little different. Maybe you want to swap the handmade crafts out for some glitz and glamor this year? Perhaps you want to invest in something a bit more modern and minimalistic. It’s totally up to you!
Crafting the Perfect Thanksgiving Party Menu
Now you’ve got your guest list ironed out and you know where your event is going to take place, you can get to work on probably the most important part of a Thanksgiving party: the food! Based on your number of attendees, you should be able to get a good idea of how much food you’re going to need.
However, you’ll also need to think about what kind of strategy you’re going to take with your dishes. For instance, ask yourself:
- Are you going traditional or modern? Are you a big lover of tried-and-tested favorites like roast turkey and pumpkin pie? Or do you want to try something new this year? Maybe you want to experiment with new innovative flavors or ingredients. You might even merge a handful of contemporary creations with beloved classics to keep everyone happy.
- Do your guests have any dietary restrictions? Are there any specific dietary restrictions you need to be aware of? Make sure you keep allergies in mind when you’re crafting your menu, and think about the needs of people with specific preferences. For instance, do you need vegan, vegetarian, or gluten-free options?
- What sides and desserts will you offer? The roasted turkey might be the star of the show for your Thanksgiving dinner, but it’s not the only dish your guests will be looking forward to. Think about classic sides like creamy mashed potatoes, brussels sprouts, and sweet potato pie. Experiment with a range of themed desserts, like pecan and apple pie, as well as fun new creations.
Remember to plan beverages, too! Everyone is bound to be thirsty after eating all of that turkey. Your options here are unlimited. You could choose autumn favorites like spiced apple cider or work with the experts to create your own signature cocktail. Even if you’re planning for mostly adults at this party, remember to include a few non-alcoholic choices for those who prefer not to drink.
Reduce the Work with a Catering Service
While planning and preparing the perfect Thanksgiving menu yourself can feel like a rewarding task, it’s not for the faint of heart. From candy corn to cranberry sauce, prepping the perfect meal can be exhausting, particularly when turkeys take hours to cook. The last thing you want is to spend all of your time in the kitchen cooking green bean casserole or mashed potatoes when you should be enjoying meaningful moments with your family.
Hiring a catering service is an excellent way to take some of the extra stress off your plate (so there’s more room for delicious food!). With a catering service, you can hand the work of cooking the perfect meal over to the professionals while you focus on things like choosing the best decorations or just relaxing with friends and family.
As an added bonus, you get the benefit of being able to bypass the worst part of any party — the cleanup. Your catering team will do all the hard work for you, from cooking amazing meals to serving them to your guests, and even whipping up a few delicious drinks.
Host your Thanksgiving Meal with Marbled LA
Here at Marbled LA, we offer premier Thanksgiving catering services, designed to make your festive celebration easier than ever. We cater to all kinds of events, from corporate and business parties to non-profit organizations, community groups, and even individuals and families.
Our incredible chefs will work with you to craft the perfect Thanksgiving dinner menu, regardless of whether you prefer traditional Thanksgiving recipes or contemporary cuisine. When you work with us, you get:
- High-quality food: With locally sourced ingredients and a huge range of menu items to choose from, you’re sure to give your guests a dinner they won’t forget.
- Budget-friendly options: We ensure our catering services can appeal to everyone, no matter your budget. Great food doesn’t have to cause a fortune.
- Comprehensive support: We don’t just cook amazing food, we also help with all the other stressful parts of a Thanksgiving party, from set-up to serving and even post-party cleanup.
- Variety: We’ll tailor your event to suit your needs, whether you’re looking for a buffet-style experience or a more traditional sit-down meal at the Thanksgiving table.
- Reliable team: We put customer service first. You can rest assured that your food will be delivered to you on time, according to your schedule, and ready to eat.
Choosing Thanksgiving Party Games and Activities
While the food might be the part of your Thanksgiving party that your guests look forward to most, you’ll still want to ensure there’s fun to be had after the feasting is done. Start by making sure you create a cozy, comfortable atmosphere for your guests.
A well-decorated space is ideal for keeping everyone in the festive spirit. With that in mind, it might be worth dedicating a little extra time to choosing the perfect Thanksgiving decorations. You’ll also want to think about your party playlist. You could consider hiring a band, but it’s often an easier choice to simply put together a playlist of your own with all your favorite festive songs.
Once you’ve got the music and decor figured out, consider what kind of activities you and your loved ones could do together on the day. For instance, you could:
- Host a Thanksgiving day quiz: Get everyone racking their brains before they feast on turkey with a themed quiz. You could even separate people into teams and get them to choose their own festive team name for the big event. You could also award prizes.
- Play some Thanksgiving games: Themed games such as Thanksgiving bingo, charades, and similar games are always fun when you’re getting family together. Alternatively, you could consider hosting a family tournament on your games console if everyone enjoys similar entertainment.
- Get outdoors: You might want to do this before your guests start eating, but a brisk walk outside during Thanksgiving can be a lot of fun. You can check out the city decorations or just enjoy the nature around you.
Holiday Party Hosting Tips and Etiquette
At this point, you should have almost everything you need for an amazing Thanksgiving celebration. However, you’ll still want to make sure you’ve got the perfect strategy in place for hosting and etiquette. Here are some quick-fire tips to help:
- Greeting guests: Make sure you’re at the door to greet your guests with a smile and a hug when they arrive. You could even get a designated person involved to help with coats.
- Offer refreshments: As soon as your guests arrive, get them into the spirit of the event with some delicious refreshments. You might share some appetizers or a range of drinks.
- Keep the fun flowing: Look for ways to keep your guests entertained throughout the entire party. Plan a schedule with activities, or make sure there’s always music playing.
- Have a toast: Take a moment before or after the meal begins to share a toast, or let everyone share what they feel thankful for – it’s a tradition, after all!
- Be mindful: Remember to be mindful of your guest’s dietary restrictions and preferences. Be careful to avoid anything that might trigger some dangerous allergies.
Have an Amazing Thanksgiving Party
Throwing the perfect Thanksgiving dinner party can be quite the labor of love. There’s a lot of work involved in making sure everything goes smoothly. However, if you plan correctly, prepare the ideal menu, and keep your guests entertained, you’re sure to end up with an amazing event.
Remember, you don’t have to tackle the whole process alone. If you want to spend your Thanksgiving enjoying your party rather than cooking and preparing food, reach out to Marbled LA. We can help you prepare and serve a delicious Thanksgiving feast, so you have time to focus on what really matters. Reach out today to find out why our clients are thankful for us!